How a picture and an antique beer bottle led to interesting ancestral connections… (conclusion)

Posted on January 20, 2013 by


Picking-up where I left off in yesterday’s post

Ah, yes, but even Draden’s association with alcohol distribution runs further back than that. The 1880s census shows him, as of June 2nd of that year, as a “Bar Keeper”, and boarding at the hotel (“The Crawford”, located on Main Street) owned by W.D.F. Duval, in Salem, Roanoke County, Virginia.

"The Crawford", Salem, Virginia.

“The Crawford”, Salem, Virginia.

With Roanoke being what it was, and his father’s former ties with the railroad, it only seems natural that, after his days at “The Crawford”, he spent most of the rest of his life as a railroad man. Sometime around 1894, however, it seems he was looking for supplemental income, and, perhaps taking the idea from his younger brother Cliff, Draden bought into the bottling business. No, not alcohol, but soft drinks and mineral water. His first partnership (around 1895) was with William G. Schooley (see a picture of him, here), Schooley being the senior partner in “Schooley & Moore”, which held ownership of the “Keystone Bottling Works”. Schooley had actually engaged in “the manufacture and bottling of aerated water” before 1885, when he moved his business to Harrisburg. In 1896, Draden Moore bought Schooley’s interests in the company, and also expanded by purchasing the “D. Bacon company”.


By 1899, Draden expanded further, with a wholesale business, located at the corner of State and Canal, in the Eight Ward, in Harrisburg. That same year, he also sold his interests in Keystone Bottling Works. From the May 23, 24, and 25 issues of the Patriot, Draden announced to the public…

Notice. I have disposed of my soft drink and mineral water business to Mahlon S. Foreman and John I. Pierson, former employees. All bills due me will be paid to them. Hope you may continue to give them your patronage. KEYSTONE BOTTLING WORKS. James D. Moore.

Later that year (September), both Draden and brother Cliff helped to feed local Pennsylvania National Guard troops as they marched out of Harrisburg, bound for the west coast, and ultimately Manila (the Philippine-American War):

Twenty-Eighth Off. Regiment Left Yesterday on Its Long Journey West. The 28th Regiment is on its way to Manila. It left Camp Meade yesterday morning aboard four sections of tourist coaches, three companies to each section. The baggage train moved out of the Union station at 9.30 o’clock, preceding the troop trains. None of the delays which characterized the departure of the 27th regiment were apparent and all of the trains left on or a little before schedule time. The trip will require seven days, providing no delays occur. While on the road the soldiers will be fed by J.D. Moore & Co. of this city. The firm consists of J.D. Moore, George Busch and W.T. Jones. J.S. Seidel has charge of the commissary of the first train; George Busch of the second; C.C. Moore, of the third, and Frank Mulvey, of the fourth.

It’s unclear as to what happened to Draden in the few months that followed, but by December, at only 40 years of age, he was dead.

‘Captain’ Moore was a passenger conductor on the Cumberland Valley RR. Earlier he was a passenger train brakeman. 32nd Degree Mason. Funeral conducted by Palestine Commandery Knights Templar. Member of the Order of Railway Conductors.

Draden was laid to rest next to his two children, Boyd Quigley Moore (age 4 mos.) who had died in 1886, and Lillian Louise Moore (a month short of her 5th birthday) who had died in 1896.

At this point, I turn to Cliff’s story…

Obviously, he had the bottling business, and my best guess is that he started it around 1887 (that would put him at about 21 years of age). I’ve heard somewhere along the way that Papa Cyrus may have partnered or given him start-up funding for the enterprise, but have found nothing that verifies this.

Location of C.C. Moore, Bottling Works, on W. Washington St., Chambersburg, Pa.

Location of C.C. Moore, Bottling Works, on W. Washington St., Chambersburg, Pa.

Still… what was he bottling, exactly?

As we take a close look at the sign behind the wagon, it appears those bottles may have been carrying beer brewed by the Prospect Brewing Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. As you might detect, I’m skeptical, and place emphasis on “may have been” for a reason. Specifically, I’ve also seen Prospect Brewing Company blob-top bottles (carrying the company name), which might suggest that Prospect had no reason to use a secondary bottler. I’ve also seen porcelain blob-top bottle stoppers bearing the Prospect Brewing Company name… and they weren’t used on any C.C. Moore bottles that I’ve seen.

Close-up of the sign to the rear right of the C.C. Moore wagon.

Close-up of the sign to the rear right of the C.C. Moore wagon.

For what it’s worth… if Cliff did partner with Prospect, the company was owned by Charles Wolters, who had incorporated the company, under this name, only a year or so before Cliff began his business. Prospect was known to have produced a number of beers, including Prospect Lager Beer, Export Light, Budweis Beer, Bohemian Export, Muenchener P.M. Dark, Porter and Hercules Malt Extract. The Budweis Lager, however, should not be confused with Carl Conrad’s “Budweiser” of St. Louis.

Cliff ran this company for over a decade, and, as might be expected, the horses pulling the wagons weren’t always cooperative. An article from the April 4, 1901 issue of the Harrisburg Patriot leaves this example…

Cyrus Moore, of Chambersburg, was painfully injured by being kicked in the left arm by a horse at the bottling establishment of C.C. Moore. The animal suddenly turned around and kicked Mr. Moore. The shoe of the horse inflicted a contused wound about four inches in length above the elbow. A physician was summoned and dressed the wound.



The article didn’t name the horse/mule responsible, but I wonder if “Duke” (remember, from the wagon pic?) was the culprit.

Thanks again to the Patriot, I know that Cyrus finally sold the business in April, 1904:

C.C. Moore has sold his bottling works in this place to Charles [S.] Feldman and G. Michael Crist, who will take possession as soon as the transfer of license is made.

As an aside, Feldman was a native of Chambersburg, born in 1874. Six years after this purchase, he started and apple orchard and was one of Franklin County’s successful fruit growers.

After Chambersburg, Cliff appears to have made his way to Philadelphia (1905), and then to Hatboro, Pennsylvania, where he purchased a local inn, renaming it “Moore’s Inn”.

Moore's Inn, Hatboro, Pa.

Moore’s Inn, Hatboro, Pa.

Mingling quite well with the locals, Cliff was active with the local fire company, and named an “honorary member” (1907), and later, the fire chief (1911). An article from Hatboro’s Public Spirit also show that Cliff’s hotel become a popular gathering spot. In early January, 1912, it served as the banquet location of the Hatboro Business Men’s Association.

After the meeting adjourned at 8 o’clock, the body of men then proceeded to Moore’s Inn for their banquet. Everything was in readiness by Proprietor Moore and the committee headed by Harry Wilson, who had charge of the banquet. Those who attended represented almost all lines of business in the borough. A most excellent dinner was served of oysters, soup, turkey, vegetables, salad and ice cream, ending with coffee and cigars. About 50 covers were laid and the banquet hall was handsomely decorated, and the two long tables looked beautiful. An orchestra furnished tasteful music. President Reading acted as toastmaster and handled the meeting in his usual genial way. The toastmaster called on officers and directors for remarks and a number of them gave fine addresses.

Dining room of Moore's Inn, ca. 1910.

Dining room of Moore’s Inn, ca. 1910.

In October (Friday, the 25th) of that same year, as detailed in Lowell, Massachusett’s Sun, Moore’s Inn also played host to popular local celebrity, Steve Yerkes, who was a second baseman with the Boston Red Sox (a personal “Yay!”, I might add), the Sox having just taken the 1912 World Series. Also in attendance was Connie Mack, also a baseball celebrity in his own right, and since 1901, the manager, treasurer, and part owner of the Philadelphia Athletics:

 To Be Tendered Banquet by Home Folks – Connie Mack Will Attend – Communities Notified. The baseball fans of Jenkintown and Hatboro will give Steve Yerkes, the star second baseman of the world’s championship Red Sox a banquet at Moore’s Inn Hatboro, tomorrow evening. Yerekes was born in Hatboro and began his baseball career with the Jenkintown team.

Connie Mack, manager of the Athletics has notified the commit in charge that he will attend the banquet, and says further that he will bring several of his team with him.

Cliff also has at least one other interesting connection… or, I should say… his youngest daughter did. Dorothy Virginia Moore was born in 1909, and at some point, when visiting Willow Grove Park (aka, “Philadelphia’s Fairyland”), Dorothy become a bit of an attraction. It being her birthday, John Philip Sousa had her on the stage for a number of tunes. Henceforth, she was known among family members as “Sousa’s Baby”.

By August, 1916, Cliff, perhaps seeing larger opportunities in “The World’s Playground” in Atlantic City, New Jersey, Cliff sold Moore’s Inn to George O. Haney:

HATBORO INN….I wish to announce to my friends and former patrons that I have purchased the well-known Road House of C.C. Moore and have changed its name to “HATBORO INN,” where I will be glad to serve them with the best the market affords, including fresh vegetables from the farms in this locality…Chicken and Waffle Dinners a specialty, $1.25 and $1.50 per plate, Served from 12 to 9 p.m….Choice wines and liquors, all the leading brands of cigars…GEO. O. HANEY, Prop….Phones–Bell, Hatboro 11; Keystone, Hatboro 6-54.

This picture of Cliff and family has a great description on the back... "The whole d--- family, including the dog.  May 2, 1915”.

This picture of Cliff (in the back, in the pinstripe suit) and family has a great description on the back… “The whole d— family, including the dog. May 2, 1915”.

With a second wife and youngest daughter in tow, Cliff took on the position of “hotel keeper”, though I don’t yet know at which hotel, other than the fact that it was located on South New York Avenue.

Of course, when we consider the timeline for this transition, we become aware of the fact that less than three years after his move, the Eighteenth Amendment was ratified, making things complicated for many a business in Atlantic City. Indeed, as a family story reveals… Cliff is said to have operated a speakeasy during the Prohibition. Apart from that, little else is known. Being that this intersects with his time in Atlantic City, thoughts swirl about regarding possible affiliations. Did he, for example, have any encounters with Enoch “Nucky” Johnson. Who knows?

heartbreak also followed Cliff to Atlantic City. In October of 1920, Cliff’s second wife, Kathryn died, and was mentioned in the Bucks County Intelligencer:

Mrs. Catherine [sic] L. Moore, wife of C. C. Moore, died on Thursday, aged 45 years, at her home in Atlantic City, N. J. Mrs. Moore was well known in Hatboro, where for a number of years her husband conducted the Hatboro Inn.

One can only speculate how his wife’s death impacted him, but inevitably, he turned to family members for help in raising his youngest daughter, Dorothy, while doing what he could to keep business matters afloat. Cliff was last recorded, in the 1930 census, as a hotel manager (and boarder) in a hotel on Market Street (District 5), in Camden, New Jersey.

Probably one of Cliff's last photos (center), with sister, Josephine Delaplane Moore Quintard, to his right, and brother (my great-great grandfather) J. Howard Moore, to his left. My estimation is that this photo was taken between 1931 and 1935.

Probably one of Cliff’s last photos (center), with sister, Josephine Delaplane Moore Quintard (who lived, at this time, in New York City), to his right, and brother (my great-great grandfather) J. Howard Moore, to his left. My estimation is that this photo was taken between 1931 and 1935.

He passed away five years later in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania, and his remains were returned to Hatboro, for burial next to his wife, Kathryn.

So, for now… that’s as far as the story has taken me. A glimpse into fifty years of family history that was tied to  tales of my family’s role as alcohol distributors… unearthed over the course of the last four weeks.

Pretty cool to think that it all began with a photo and an antique beer bottle.