More on Captured Gettysburg Civilians: Emanuel G. Trostle

Posted on December 3, 2008 by


Continuing from yesterday’s post… I just found what follows below on this site… the original source is Part III of the History of Adams County, Page 454:

EMANUEL G. TROSTLE, farmer, P. O. Gettysburg, was born in Adams County, Penn., December 1, 1839, son of Henry and Jane (Pitzer) Trostle, natives of Pennsylvania. His father was a miller and blacksmith, but followed farming during the latter part of his life. Emanuel G. was reared on the farm until seventeen years of age, when he hired out on a farm for two years; then learned the shoe-maker’s trade, which he followed until 1866. In 1868 he went to Lee County, Ill., and there remained six months; then returned to Pennsylvania, locating at Gettysburg, where he farmed and followed his trade for two years. He then abandoned his trade and devoted his time exclusively to agriculture. In 1880 he bought fifty-two acres of land, where he has since resided. In October, 1859, he married Mary Plank, a daughter of John and Hester (Mickley) Plank, and three children have blessed their union: Harry M., Ida M. and Minnie; they also have an adopted child Oscar Mundorff. Mr. and Mrs. Trostle are members of the German Reformed Church of Gettysburg. He has held the offices of township judge, assessor and collector. During the war, while Mr. Trostle, his wife and child were residing on the Emmittsburg road, about three miles from Gettysburg, a rebel colonel rode up to him one evening, and advised him to leave the place as his life was in danger. Mr. Trostle, who was crippled at the time, and walked with the aid of a staff and crutch, told the colonel that he could not pass through his pickets. The colonel told him that he would take him through, and accordingly did so. The next morning, however, becoming uneasy about his household goods, he started back, accompanied by a friend, and got as far as the pickets when he was captured. He was taken to the battle-field, expecting to be paroled, but the firing opened before the parole could be made out. He was taken to Staunton, Va., walking the entire distance of 175 miles; was on the road six days, and for three days had not a mouthful to eat. He was detained in Richmond prison, Libby, Castle Thunder, Hell’s Delight, and Salisbury, N. C.; in all twenty-two months. He had been reported killed but his wife always held hopes of seeing him again. After his release he returned home, feeling better than he had ever been before.

Related information (Civil War atrocities/depredations/Civil War “war crimes”) can be found in posts from 3/11/08, 7/18/08, 10/3/08, 12/2/08, and 12/5/08.